Early Modern Western-style Architecture of the Meiji Era

P Former Imperial Kyoto Museum (the main building of the Kyoto National Museum)
(Important Cultural Asset)
Location: Chaya-cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto City

Constructed in 1895 to a design by Tokuma Katayama, an engineer employed by the Bureau of Construction, in the former Imperial Household Ministry. It was built of brick in the French Renaissance style. The front gate, ticket windows and other features (also Important Cultural Assets) retain their original appearance.


Q Doshisha Chapel
(Important Cultural Asset)
Location: Genbu-cho, Imadegawa-dori Karasuma higashi-iru, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City

Some five buildings classified as Important Cultural Assets are among the outstanding examples of Meiji-era Western architecture that adorn the Doshisha University campus. Doshisha Chapel is a landmark. It was designed by an American missionary, Daniel C. Greene, and built in 1886. Constructed of brick in the American Gothic style, the chapel is distinctive for its simplicity of design.


R Doshisha Shoei-kan
(Important Cultural Asset)
Location: Genbu-cho, Imadegawa-dori Karasuma higashi-iru, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City

Constructed 1884 in the Gothic style to a design by American missionary and clergyman, Daniel C. Greene. This is the oldest surviving brick building in Kyoto City.


S Doshisha Yushu-kan
(Important Cultural Asset)
Location: Genbu-cho, Imadegawa-dori Karasuma higashi-iru, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City

As with the chapel and Shoei-kan, the Yushu-kan was designed by Daniel C. Greene. It was built in 1887 and served originally as a library.


T Doshisha Harris Rika-Gakkan
(Important Cultural Asset)
Location: Genbu-cho, Imadegawa-dori Karasuma higashi-iru, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City

The Harris Rika-Gakkan bears the name of the American businessman who funded its construction, Jonathan N. Harris. Built in 1890 according to designs by an Englishman, Alex N. Hansell, it still displays the original typically English exterior.


U Doshisha Clark Kinen-kan
(Important Cultural Asset)
Location: Genbu-cho, Imadegawa-dori Karasuma higashi-iru, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City

Donated by an American couple, B.W. Clarke and his wife, and built in 1893 to plans by a German architect. This Germanic neo-Gothic construction features an octagonal penthouse.


V Former Kyoto Branch of the Bank of Japan (Museum of Kyoto Annex)
(Important Cultural Asset)
Location: Hishiya-cho, Sanjo-dori Takakura nishi-iru, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto City

A classic example of Western architectural design from the middle of the Meiji era. Kingo Tatsuno and Uheiji Nagano designed this two-story brick structure for the Kyoto branch of the Bank of Japan. Completed in 1906, this edifice is richly embellished and exudes an air of strength.


W Main building of Ryukoku University
(Important Cultural Asset)
Location: Daiku-cho, Inokuma-dori Nanajo-agaru, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto City

This timber-frame, stone-clad construction was completed in 1879 and designed to serve as an auditorium. While the designer is not known, much of the detail is Japanese in style. It is an illustrative example of pseudo-Western architecture from early in the Meiji era.


X Former main building of Kyoto Prefecture Office
(Kyoto Prefecture Designated Cultural Asset)
Location: Yabunouchi-cho, Shimodachiuri-dori, Shinmachi nishi-iru, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City

A two-story brick edifice built 1904 in the neo-Renaissance style, under the direction of Shigemitsu Matsumuro and other engineers employed by Kyoto Prefecture. The oldest existing example of government offices, it is valuable also in terms of architectural history and design excellence.


POSt. Agnes Church
(Kyoto City Designated Cultural Asset)
Location: Horimatsu-cho, Sawaragi-cho agaru, Karasuma-dori, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City

James McDonald Gardiner, an American, drew the plans for this structure, built in 1898 as a chapel for the Heian-Jogakuin (St. Agnes' Junior High School Senior High School). The brick exterior presents an air of solid strength, while the interior features attractive exposed timber trusses. It is a fine example of Meiji-era church architecture.


PPFormer residence of Jo Niijima
(Kyoto City Designated Cultural Asset)
Location: Matsukage-cho, Teramachi-dori Marutamachi-agaru, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto City

Jo Niijima, one of the founders of Doshisha University, is said to have designed this as his private residence. Wallace Taylor, a missionary and doctor, gave suggestions for the design. Built in 1878 with Japanese and Western features, it is an excellent specimen of eclectic architecture early in the Meiji era. Fifty-seven pieces of furniture dating from early Meiji era to early Showa era are on display in the house.


PQThe Orthodox Church in Japan Holy Annunciation Cathedral, Kyoto
(Kyoto City Designated Cultural Asset)
Location: 6-chome, Yanaginobanba-dori Nijo-agaru, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto City

This church was built in 1901 under the supervision of its designer, Shigemitsu Matsumuro, an engineer employed by Kyoto Prefecture. The timber structure is believed to be the oldest example of Russian Byzantine architecture. A beautiful iconostasis (screen) still adorns the interior.


PRFacade of the Nakagyo Post Office
(Kyoto City Registered Cultural Asset)
Location: Hishiya-cho, Sanjo-dori Higashi-no-Toin higashi-iru, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto City

Built (1902) in the neo-Renaissance style to a design by the Maintenance Section of the former Communications Ministry. Sections of the roof and outer walls were preserved during reconstruction. The building facade conveys the atmosphere of early modern Kyoto in Sanjo-dori, then the heart of economic activity.


PSChorakukan
(Kyoto City Designated Cultural Asset)
Location: Maruyama-cho, Yasaka Toriimae higashi-iru, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto City

James McDonald Gardiner ,an American, designed this villa for the Japanese tobacco king, Kichibei Murai. First built in 1909 in a corner of Maruyama Park, the villa was rebuilt into its present appearance in 1915. Hirobumi Ito, an influential politician of the Meiji Era, named it Chorakukan. Much of the original furniture remains in the villa.


PTHonganji Temple Dendo-in
(Kyoto City Designated Cultural Asset)
Location: {Koyo-cho, Higashi nakasuji-dori, Shomen-sagaru / also, Tamamoto-cho, Aburanokoji-dori, Shomen-sagaru} Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto City

Built in 1912, originally as an office for the Shinshu Shinto Life Insurance Company. Chuta Ito, a professor at Tokyo Imperial University, drew the plans. The construction is noted particularly for the shape of the tower roof, and the stone sculptures adorning the pillars of the wall surrounding the property.

Historic Sites in Kyoto Kyoto Seiyo-kan
Bunyu Kairo Historical Trail Outline of Activities/Fund-raising Information
Events/Publications Information Home Page